Open For Business: What You Need to Know About YEG Real Estate
With the gradual reopening of shops and services in and around the province, Edmonton’s real estate market has experienced a strong surge in buying and selling activity. This slow return to normal, paired with low home prices and interest rates, has consumers eager to take advantage of the increasingly favourable market conditions.
But, it’s not quite business as usual when it comes to real estate in Edmonton. As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, REALTOR®S® are practicing extreme caution when it comes to stopping the spread and maintaining public safety.
If you, like many other Edmontonians, are thinking of hitting the market, here’s what you need to know:
1. Suggested Safety Measures For Buyers, Sellers and REALTOR®S®:
Maintain Social Distancing
• Utilize virtual tours and other videoconferencing options in place of open houses and, when possible, in-person meetings
• Social distancing = Six feet apart at all times
• Use hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, face masks, etc.
• Ask that all documents be signed and delivered electronically
Photos and Video Services
• Reduce the need for the photographer/videographer to touch anything by ensuring your home is photo-ready with the lights left on
Buyers and Sellers
- Utilize virtual tours and other videoconferencing options to reduce the number of homes/ locations visited
- To help make an informed decision as to who should enter your home, use the Practice Tips guide to ask interested parties and their agent standard COVID 19 health and travel questions (your REALTOR®® will assist you with this)
General Practices For Well-Being
- As per Alberta’s COVID-19 guidelines, any home-related appointments (including showings, inspections, stagings, etc.) are to be rescheduled if you’re experiencing any COVID-19 symptoms or have travelled in the last 14 days
- Carefully evaluate your comfort level ahead of time by asking yourself:
- Am I comfortable hosting showings during the coronavirus outbreak?
- Am I comfortable visiting homes during the coronavirus outbreak?
Information for Buyers
In addition to staying up to date with the latest government recommendations regarding COVID-19 in our province, be sure to use the Practice Tips guide with your REALTOR®®, the seller and the seller’s real estate agent.
When viewing a property, keep the following protocols in mind:
- Utilize virtual tours, photos and other online tools as much as possible before requesting an in-person showing. Avoid attending a property showing unless you believe it will lead to an offer
- All home showings should be limited to one buyer at a time (children, extended family members, friends, etc.)
- Maintain social distancing at all times
- Wait until you’re off the seller’s property before engaging in any one on one conversations with your REALTOR®®
- Employ the use of hand sanitizers and wipes (more on that below)
- Avoid touching anything in the home (including lights and doors) and do not use the bathroom
Information for Sellers
Here too, sellers should stay up to date with the latest government recommendations surrounding COVID-19. With your REALTOR®®, use the Practice Tips guide as it pertains to potential buyers and their real estate agents.
When showing your property, keep the following protocols in mind (here again, your REALTOR®® can help you):
- Take care to disinfect common areas such as light switches, counters, surfaces, doorknobs, cupboard and sink handles, etc., with an antibacterial cleaner.
- Leave hand sanitizer or sanitizing wipes at the front door with a note asking both agents and buyers to clean their hands before entering and not to touch anything
- To minimize outside party contact, be sure to turn on all the lights and open bedroom and closet doors
- Use the Practice Tips guide with your REALTOR®®, the buyer and the buyer’s agent and ensure you’re comfortable with their answers before the showing
- Use discretion when it comes to staying home during a showing (it’s ok if you prefer not to leave). If you opt to stay home, maintain social distancing.
- Showings should be limited to one or two buyers at a time, no children, extended family members, friends, etc.
- Ask that any conversations between buyers and their agents take place off the property
Following a Showing:
- Disinfect common spaces such as light switches, counters, surfaces, doorknobs, cupboard and sink handles, etc., with an antibacterial cleaner.
- Turn of lights and close doors
Did You Know? Pro Real Estate Group has been recognized as one of the best in Edmonton! If you’re interested in selling or buying a home in Edmonton, we invite you to reach or book a free virtual tour!
Do you think now is a good time to buy? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
Photo credits: shutterstock.com